Arsenal has announced the signing of 32-year-old defender David Luiz from Chelsea.
The North London club has been interested in strengthening their defence this summer and opted to bring in the Brazillian defender before the window slammed shut.
Yesterday, reports began to circulate that the defender did not train with the Chelsea first-team and that he wanted to force a move to rivals Arsenal.
According to BBC Sport journalist David Ornstein, the two clubs agreed to a deal earlier this morning for a fee believed to be in the region of £8 million.
Luiz has put pen to paper on a two-year deal with the club and will wear the number 23 shirt, most recently worn by Danny Welbeck.
Speaking about his transfer, Arsenal head coach Unai Emery said: “David has huge experience and I look forward to working with him again. He is a well known player and adds to our defensive strength.”
The Brazillian international has spent a combined six and a half years at Chelsea where he’s made 248 appearances in all competitions for the club.
Facts and Stats:
- Age: 32 (DOB – 22nd April 1987)
- Height: 6ft 2in
- Clubs: Arsenal (2019 – present), Chelsea (2016 – 2019), Paris Saint-Germain (2014 – 2016), Chelsea (2011 – 2014), Benfica (2007 – 2011), Benfica loan (2007), Vitoria (2001 – 2007), Sao Paulo (1999 – 2001)
- Club Honours: Champions League (1), Premier League (1), Ligue 1 (2), Europa League (2), Primeira Liga (1), FA Cup (2), Coupe de France (2), Coupe de la Ligue (1), Taca da Liga (1)
- International Honours: Confederations Cup (1)
- Personal Honours: FIFA FIFPro World XI, FIFA World Cup Dream Team, PFA Team of the Year, Ligue 1 Team of the Year (2), ESM Team of the Year, Europa League Squad of the Season, LPFP Primeira Liga Player of the Year