Arsenal have confirmed the signing of Greek defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos from Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund for a fee believed to be around £18 million.
The 30-year-old started off his senior career as a prospect of the AEK Athens Academy. The Greek defender made his debut for the club in 2005 and went on to make just over 50 appearances for the club. Sokratis has also played Genoa, AC Milan, and Werder Bremen. While his playing time for the Rossoneri was limited, he did earn a medal after the club won the league in the 2010-11 league season.
Sokratis most recently played for Borussia Dortmund where he made just under 200 appearances for the club in five years. For Die Borussen, the Greek defender won the DFB-Pokal in 2017 and also the DFL-Supercup in 2013 and 2014.
Following the announcement of the Greek defender, the club also revealed that he would take the 5 shirt which has previously been worn by the likes of Gabriel, Thomas Vermaelen, Kolo Toure, and Martin Keown.
Sokratis Papastathopoulos – Facts and Statistics
- Age: 30 (Born – 9th June 1988)
- Height: 6ft 1in
- Major Honours: Serie A (1), DFB-Pokal (1), DFL-Supercup (2)
- Clubs: Arsenal (2018 – Present), Borussia Dortmund (2013 – 2018), Werder Bremen (2012 – 2013), Werder Bremen loan (2011 – 2012), AC Milan (2010 – 2012), Genoa (2008 – 2010), Niki Volos loan (2006), AEK Athens (2005 – 2008)
- According to his Sokratis’ father, Manchester United made a late approach for the defender but it was rejected.
- Last season, Sokratis Papastathopoulos averaged 63 passes a game. The Greek defender also had a successful pass percentage of 87%. (Source – WhoScored)
- Sokratis didn’t make a single error leading to a goal or make any defensive errors across the Bundesliga, last season. Arsenal defenders Shkodran Mustafi and Laurent Koscielny made a combined three errors leading to goals last season along with two further defensive errors. (Source – Squawka)