Arsenal have confirmed the signing of German goalkeeper Bernd Leno from Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen for a fee believed to be around £20 million. Leno’s number will be revealed soon.
The 26-year-old played for Die Werkself for seven years after joining the club from VfB Stuttgart in 2011. Since his arrival, the goalkeeper has gone on to make just over 300 appearances for the club. However, following poor performances across the 2017/18 league season, Leverkusen opted to sign Lukas Hradecky from Eintracht Frankfurt following the expiration of his contract.
Across the 304 senior games Leno played for the German club, he kept 100 clean sheets (32.8% of his total appearances) while also conceding 378 goals (averaging 1.2 goals conceded a game).
Speaking about his new goalkeeper, Arsenal head coach, Unai Emery, said: “We are very pleased that Brend Leno will be joining us. Bernd is a goalkeeper of high quality and experience. He has been a top performer and regular number one goalkeeper with Leverkusen in the Bundesliga for the past seven years. We are all excited that Bernd has chosen Arsenal Football Club and look forward to start working with him in pre-season.”
Bernd Leno – Facts and Statistics
- Age: 26 (Born – 4th March 1992)
- Height: 6ft 3 in
- Major Honours: Confederations Cup (1)
- Clubs: Arsenal (2018 – Present), Bayer Leverkusen (2011 – 2018), VfB Stuttgart (2003 – 2011)
- Real Madrid legend Iker Casillas was the German goalkeeper’s idol growing up.
- Bernd Leno has committed the second highest amount of errors leading to goals (9) in the Bundesliga since the 2015/16 league season.
- Bernd Leno has kept the second highest amount of clean sheets (45) in the Bundesliga since the 2014/15 league season.